This is a full time, permanent position.
Our client, based in High Wycombe, is seeking an Applications Chemist Engineer to join their expanding team.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you must have a logical and methodical approach to troubleshooting, applications development, method development and instrument maintenance.
You must be a self-starter with the ability to work on your own, running projects, using your own initiative as well as developing and finalising projects within an agreed timescale. You must have a professional approach, be well presented and with the ability to liaise with clients and team members.
- Taking an important position in a new growth area for Emissions Analytics, having the opportunity to define the role to achieve the best results
- Co-ordinating with existing work, conducting on-road testing of vehicles using Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS)
- Central to the role, managing on-going, in-house test programmes to a range of automotive applications
- Offering custom testing services to third party clients based on similar standards methods
- On internal acceptance of a client project, researching/understanding client requirements, specifying, designing, planning and developing the required methods to a consistent high quality, delivering to an agreed specification and timescale, as agreed with the client
- Upon completion, ensuring the write-ups of customer reports, application notes, standard operating procedures, presentations and other technical documentation (all done to a set quality and within a timescale as agreed with the Chief Operating Officer and in line with the requirements of the client’s project proposal)
- Running clients’ standards and samples in real world matrices, showing a method’s fitness for purpose, incorporating important analytical criteria such as, but not limited to, minimum detection limits, carry-over performance, calibration linearity, reproducibility and analyte recoveries
- Occasionally travelling in the UK, Europe and as needed globally to carry out such tasks
- Helping manage the laboratory, ensuring supplies are re-ordered as required to avoid delays in project development, ensuring the lab is kept clean, tidy and safe. Managing the laboratory within industry health and safety guidelines
- Previously a GC-MS user, with hands-on experience of running GC-MS to analyse samples
- Educated to degree level in Analytical Chemistry (or a similar discipline) with two years or more GC-MS sample introduction and sample preparation experience
- Ideally experienced in method development, analysing complex GC-MS data and creating meaningful reports for both experts and the layman
- Experienced in developing/running analytical methods using GC-MS and, ideally, in operating /maintaining at least some of the following techniques – GC, GCxGC, GC-MS, GC-TOF-MS, HPLC liquid injection, large volume injection, TD, Dynamic HS and pyrolysis (amongst others)
- Experienced in automating sample preparation to maximise workflow efficiency and productivity (a distinct advantage)
- Ability to understand the importance of, and pay attention to, the level of care, detail and precision required in this role
- Experienced project and management skills (highly beneficial)
- Willingness to travel and stay away from home (globally at times) to support client projects
- Good social skills, as interactions with both staff members/clients
- Self-motivated, professional, with the ability to work on own initiative as well as demonstrating a high level of team contribution
- Proactive and well-presented
- Motivated, problem-solving