Our client, involved within the health and care sector, is seeking a part time Legal Secretary to join their team, working 9am–5pm (Tuesday to Thursday). You must have excellent communication skills with a pleasant telephone manner, as you will have contact with clients, their families and referrers by telephone, email or letter. You will often be the “face” of the business as will generally be the first contact with new clients and referrers.
Experience of working in a medical/clinical setting or in a legal setting would be an advantage (although not essential). It is perfectly feasible to learn the terminology if you have the right aptitude and a willingness to do so.
Day-to-day tasks can be varied, however, there may be occasions when you will need to focus on one task for several hours. Your daily duties will be a mix of preparing appointment letters, dealing with telephone enquiries from solicitors, researching and ordering equipment for clients, inputting documents into a document management system and proofing long reports.
Reliability, integrity and punctuality are core to the business. Comprehensive training will be given, however, you will need to have the aptitude to take on board new information and have a caring manner, both in your approach to your work and towards clients. Maintaining confidentiality is absolutely essential.
There may be occasions when you may be in the office working alone, therefore confidence to open and lock up the office and the ability to work at arm’s length supervision is essential.
Duties of the role will include:
- Written and telephone liaison with referrers, clients, their family members, other outside agencies
- Managing referrals and appointments
- Diary management
- Typing of notes, letters and reports
- Editing and proofing documents
- Database entry
- Maintaining paper and computer-based filing systems
- Maintaining office procedures and maintaining confidentiality
- Individual client-related tasks as directed by the director/managers
- Maintaining office supplies, including managing stock level, ordering and processing invoices, ensuring the efficient use of stock
- Maintaining required standards for all staff whilst on the premises
- Excellent standard of written and verbal communication, as well as proficiency in spelling, grammar and numeracy
- Excellent telephone manner
- Computing skills : proficiency in Word and email (essential), along with accurate keyboard skills / experience with Excel preferred (including charting) / ability to learn their bespoke database system
- Ability to problem solve effectively
- Ability to work independently as well as under guidance
- Aptitude to learn new procedures in a busy office, handling many different tasks within the role
- A readiness for the challenge of working in a setting that, at times, can be pressured whilst needing to maintain accuracy